December 16th was Jamison's 5th birthday......yes, I have a 5 year-old.....weird. We celebrated with the Grandparents on Sunday with the assumption we would be unable to get together on Tuesday. Jamison has grown to have a very unique personality in which case caused me more stress then it should have this past week. The first "spiderman" cake was "not the right way" as I opted to go with the action figure stuck in the cake. Well....I was reprimanded right away for that but it made do for Sunday given it wasn't exactly his birthday yet. On Tuesday I contemplated how the heck I was going to make a Spiderman Cake with red frosting as this was the "right way" to do it. Making cakes has never been one of my talents....mostly because I hate the artificial coloring and the time it takes to do it only to have it eaten in two seconds. This time however, I aimed to please my ever so particular 5 year old. Thanks to my neighbor and her supply of cake decorating tools I was able to come up with this. I must say.....it's awesome!! Well...I was at least proud of myself. When Jamison got home from school it did indeed pass the scrutiny of one who is an expert in Spiderman cakes. I had invited the neighborhood kids over to sing and have cake but when the time came to sing, Jamison decided the circumstances just weren't right. We were "supposed" to be having cake at Chucke Cheese......and not our driveway. Thus, the kiddos were gathered outside excited to feed their sugar frenzy before dinner and the birthday boy would not come out. Mortified, I sent the kids away and explained that Jamison was a little upset....but thanks anyway. Of course this resulted in some "quiet time" complete with kicking and screaming (not so quiet.) Later on however, he awoke his happy cheerful self ready to dig in. So we planned party number 3 (we had a little shindig on Monday at Chucke Cheese as party #2) in a flash and had the Grandparents come over once again to celebrate (thank goodness for understanding grandparents.) So all in all this was the most difficult progressive birthday I have ever been involved with. Maybe we should become Mormon Jehovah's witnesses.....seriously.
That's an awesome cake. I have to put my plug in for the bakery at the grocery store. They make awesome stuff (yeah, it's totally artificial, but it's only once a year) and imho it is well worth the price considering the time and aggravation it takes to do it yourself. Really. And then you feel like a superhero when you show up with the fabulous cake (and your kid will never even wonder whether you made it or someone else did: just that it's his). PS This is Rachel... Randy doesn't have such strong feelings about cakes, I think.
3 comments:
Wow!! That's really awesome! Great job!
That's an awesome cake. I have to put my plug in for the bakery at the grocery store. They make awesome stuff (yeah, it's totally artificial, but it's only once a year) and imho it is well worth the price considering the time and aggravation it takes to do it yourself. Really. And then you feel like a superhero when you show up with the fabulous cake (and your kid will never even wonder whether you made it or someone else did: just that it's his).
PS This is Rachel... Randy doesn't have such strong feelings about cakes, I think.
He is a complex little 5 year old isn't he?
Good job on the cake and three birthdays.
Post a Comment