Many of you know that my parents have spent the last 5 years rebuilding their home. This of course is because the previous house was practically uninhabitable due to it's original purpose of being a fishing cabin in the 1920's. I remember growing up and our appliances kept shorting the power out and every so often we would smell and strange burning scent coming from the walls. The ceilings were barely 7ft. and Greg probably has a scar from hitting his head on one of the light fixtures. I could go on about growing up in such a house but I might not be able to contain myself if I didn't stop now:) Needless to say, I am so thrilled for my parents to be able to finally have a home where they can use the toaster and microwave at the same time without any sort of smokey aroma seeping from the walls.
My parents both work full time so everything you see is from long nights and Saturdays working on the house for the past 5 years. They have been living in a trailer right next to it....and now the trailer is starting to fall apart so hopefully the house will be done soon:)
I have posted the slide show below because so many of you have often asked if they have moved in yet. I always shrug my shoulders and shake my head "no" as we both silently acknowledge the fact that it is a miracle that they have survived so long living in their trailer and of course they are still married. I've often heard that a couple who decide to build a house together has a high chance of getting a divorce. Well, thankfully my parents have not become part of that statistic. As hard as it has been for them to work endlessly on their home, they've had an amazing perspective on all of it. They have mentioned the freedom they feel from living so simply out of their trailer. There is no need to shop because there's nowhere to put any extra stuff. Christmas gifts have often been movie passes and restaurant gift certificates. I truly have admired how they've weathered it all.
So enjoy the pictures and hopefully the next time you ask me how my parents' house is doing I can say "It's finished!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment