Thursday, January 28, 2010

The message

Today when I came home after a flurry of somewhat useless errands, I made my usual rounds, checking the mail, checking the answering machine, distributing snacks to boost the grumpy blood sugars etc.  To my surprise, I received a call from Jamison's teacher and it went something like this:

Mrs. H.: "Hello Mrs. Davis, this is Mrs. Hetherington and I am calling to let you know of a rather unfortunate incident which took place during lunch today."

My thoughts: "Oh no, which bone is broken? how long has he been waiting in the nurses office?  I knew I should have charged my cell phone."

Mrs. H:  "Jamison is really upset because during snack time a crow came down and flew off with his sandwich."

My thoughts:  "What!!?  Is this a joke?  No broken bones?  No hurt feelings?"

Mrs. H: "I have offered to give him money to buy lunch but he is pretty upset and would like you to bring him another dinosaur sandwich."

My thoughts:  "Holy crap, he must be really upset to pass up buying lunch as he begs me to give him money each day so that when he comes home and I ask him what he had for lunch, he will once again say, "chocolate milk and cinnamon toast,"  but no, he wants me to make him another PBJ cut into a dinosaur shape."

Mrs. H: "So if you get this message before 11:00 am could you please bring him another dinosaur sandwich?"

My thoughts: "Shoot....it's 12:30 and my 6 year old son has now experienced his own real life version of the movie, "The Birds."

I then proceeded to call the office to get in touch with Mrs. H to see if I should still bring up a replacement food item and after I explained what happened she said ...."wow...we should put up some scarecrows or something."

My thoughts:  "ya, that would really do the job since the 45 kindergartners running around and yelling aren't enough"

Tonight as I relayed the story to Greg he then turned to Jamison and asked what he was doing feeding all the birds....and of course Jamison responded with a rather assertive "I DIDN"T."

Nice.

1 comment:

Vern said...

This is an awesome story.